Monday, April 12, 2010

Sakura Matsuri



The cherry blossom festival was a success! It was the most awesome thing (sans the whole crowd thing). It was a beautiful day, not too hot. Other than the crowds, the only other problem was... no cherry blossoms. Due to some freak wind we had a few days ago, all the blossoms are gone. Sadness. But I did get to wear a kimono (pictured above with my stern-faced beau), which was loads of fun. Got a bunch of people who wanted to take our pictures and whatnot. I'm definitely going to go back next year, this time with a little more money and more planning when it comes to clothing. Let me explain.

I was planning on wearing a goth tutu-skirt with my hapi coat. Well, turns out the coat is longer than the skirt. So I had nothing to wear (we had planned to all dress up). After calling the girl who was heading this entire thing, she said one of the girls coming with us had an extra one. So, when we go to pick her up Saturday, I run in and luckily she has the kimono with obi. It was a bit long, but she let me borrow these silk sandals that added an inch or two. Sadly, by the end of the day I was tripping over the hem and... we were all ready to go home. It was a fun time, though. I walked away with a cute bunny hat, a furoshiki, and a handkerchief with little watermelons on it.

AAAND! I finally got my J-List package in, which included a bath hiragana chart, a neato fude pen, a tongue scraper thing (cheaper via Japan than buying one at Walmart), and keitai hashi, or collapsable chopsticks. I've been waiting over a month for all of that. Jeeze.

Next post will be in a day or two. Ciao!

-- katee

No comments:

Post a Comment